Continuing Education

Q.1. What is continuing education?

Continuing education refers to any type of additional training or education which you take after you leave secondary school (high school). It could also apply to what are referred to as interest courses, such as photography or conversational French, which are taken for personal growth but do not qualify for certification. In most cases, these courses do provide you with skill and knowledge that is useful as you move up the career ladder with an employer in Canada.

Q.2. What type of continuing education is available to me?

The types of programs and courses available are limitless in Canada. There are offerings for those seeking to complete a high school diploma. In addition, there are post secondary education courses and as well as career and occupation specific continuing education courses.

Q.3. What is a credit course?

A credit course is formal education which requires you to pass an evaluation and counts toward completing a diploma, certificate, or degree or earning you additional qualifications.

Q.4. What is a non-credit course?

A non-credit course, sometimes referred to as a personal interest course, is a course taken for personal growth and does not require passing an evaluation. Courses such as night school photography or conversational French are examples of interest courses.

Q.5. When are these courses offered?

This depends upon the course being offered. Continuing education courses can take the form of workshops, seminars, home-study or online courses, conferences, or hands-on training. There is no specific format or length for a continuing education program: some may take a weekend, while others can span weeks or even months. Many Canadian institutions offer continuing education in partnership with employers who may offer organization specific training to their direct employees, paid for in part, or in entirety by the employer at the office or employer site.

Q.6. Who can I contact to get information?

Continuing education credit courses are usually offered by boards of education, community colleges, universities, career colleges (private), professional associations or unions. The best way to get this information is to contact your local school board, university, professional organization or union office.