Just Had a Child

Q.1. How do I apply for my child’s Social Insurance Number?

You must have one of the following primary documents when you go to apply for a Social Insurance Number. Canadian citizens need one of: a certificate of birth or birth certificate issued by the province or territory; a certificate of Canadian citizenship; or a certificate of registration of birth abroad. Permanent residents (non Canadian) need a Permanent Residence Card. Temporary residents need a work permit or study permit. You may then apply in person or by mail.

Q.2. How do I register my child’s birth?

A birth certificate is issued by the province or territory in which the birth occurred. You need to contact the appropriate government website for application procedures.

Q.3. What is the Universal Child Care Benefit?

The Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB) issues a taxable $100 monthly payment to families for each child under the age of 6 to help cover the costs of child care. To be eligible you must be the primary caregiver and be a resident of Canada. Other criteria may apply.

Q.4. What is the Canada Child Tax Benefit?

The Canada Child Tax Benefit is a tax free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under the age of 18. To be eligible you must be the primary caregiver of a child under the age of 18 and be a Canadian resident or have a spouse or common-law partner that is a permanent resident, protected person or temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months. Applications must be submitted by mail or online.

Q.5. Why should I open a Registered Educational Savings Plan (RESP) for my child?

The education of your child beyond the secondary level is both important and expensive. The earlier you begin the process of saving for those costs the better. By starting early there is more time for those savings to work on your behalf.